Jamie, Cliff, Lukas & Baby - Together We'll Make All Our Dreams Come True!

Jamie, Cliff, Lukas & Baby - Together We'll Make All Our Dreams Come True!

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Adventures of Lukas and Clark


It all started after I introduced Lukas to Superman on Bluray. I rented it thinking he would enjoy it, but I mostly was curious to see how well the Bluray version had been revamped. As a kid, I was pretty obsessed with Superman so when I saw Lukas's interest in the movie, I wasn't surprised. However, Lukas (if you know my son, you realize he's not your average kid Joe) became very intrigued with Clark Kent.

I'm not completely sure why he chose to be Clark instead of Superman. Perhaps, because Clark really is Superman but nobody knows he is.....or because he wears really big glasses and a suit and tie.....or because he's clumsy and works at the Daily Planet. For whatever reason, Lukas's total and complete obsession with Clark Kent took over his life for the next nine months (possibly longer...I lost count).

His teachers, classmates, and parents at school knew him as Clark Kent. He even signed his school work as Clark Kent (I taught him how to write this once and he remembered it). The people at Starbucks used to greet him as Clark and put Clark Kent on his Starbucks cup.


Clark would show up everywhere. He was at footballs games, the fair, beer gardens, sushi restaurants, school, and friends's houses. He even went with us to Catalina Island. Every morning was a routine. He'd wake up and get dressed. He'd have to wear his superman shirt underneath his button shirt with another button shirt on top of it (this was like his suit jacket.) He'd ask me to help him with his tie. And the glasses.....yes, we found him Clark Kent glasses online. I'd always run out of button shirts and would have to keep up with the laundry constantly in order to make sure his superman shirts were also clean.

It was a long, long, long time before we saw the end of Clark Kent. We all just went with it. We figured it was nurturing his creativity and perhaps one day he was going to be a famous actor. He was very seriously in to his part as Clark Kent, you know! I enrolled him in a Drama Class and his part in the play was a mouse.....however, he was totally bummed he didn't get to play Clark.


I had a feeling that his big debut as Clark Kent was going to be at the wedding. I believe all of this was leading up to his big day! He had his tuxedo fitting and was so excited to get to wear "a real Clark Kent suit". We also went glasses shopping. I really didn't want those big glasses in our professional wedding pictures. He ended up having his big part as Clark Kent on our wedding day. He looked so perfect. He also had his big entrance as Superman to the reception and I even got in on the fun with walking down the aisle to the love theme song to Superman. These are memories I will cherish forever and never forget!


Now after about three months of consistently being Lukas again, he does get back in to character only every so often. I am relieved to have my Lukas back, but I do admit I slightly miss the Clark Kent days. He has such an imagination! Goodbye Clark - we'll miss you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment