Jamie, Cliff, Lukas & Baby - Together We'll Make All Our Dreams Come True!

Jamie, Cliff, Lukas & Baby - Together We'll Make All Our Dreams Come True!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Shelves for Lukas






While working on the nursery, we decided Lukas's room needed some sprucing up too. So while Lukas was gone on vacation with his Papa - I went to work! This was my first carpentry job so I made it a simple one and I'm very happy with the results. However, I can't take all the credit. We have a neighbor down the street who helped me. He's got a workshop in his garage and is a serious craftsman when it comes to woodworking. I took a few tips from him and he helped me cut and sand my wood.


You will need a few things to get started:


*Sandpaper

*Paint or Stain - your choice

*Wood Putty or if you are fancy you can use some "Miller" wood screws to fill in the holes where you have to screw the wood together (if you notice in the collage above, you can see the difference between using the putty,*bottom, and the wood screw,*top)

*Screws

*Wood

*a cute dog's nose ;)


-for more detailed information you can go to these two blogs where I found the DIY information






Once the shelves were built, I painted them. I wanted a more antique look so I used fine sandpaper to get the look I wanted. I sanded the edges and certain areas to attain this look.


I didn't have any stencils, so I printed out what I wanted it to say, size and font on the computer. I cut it out and taped it to the shelves and then used a pencil to trace around the lettering. It left a light enough mark in the wood so that I could see to paint the lettering, but not dark enough that it is now visible after the white paint job.



No comments:

Post a Comment